Did you suffer a concussion in a car accident? A traumatic brain injury such as a concussion can leave you with substantial medical bills and after-effects that make it hard to work. If another driver caused the accident, you may seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance for your expenses and losses. Turn to a San Antonio car crash concussion attorney at the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover to help you seek justice.
For more than three decades, San Antonio personal injury attorney Troy Brookover has fought for clients at the negotiating table and in the courtroom. Troy has handled thousands of cases and has secured many six- and seven-figure settlements and verdicts. Every personal injury case has unique factors to consider. Let us put our experience, skill, and tenacity to work on your behalf. Contact us today for a free evaluation of your concussion injury claim.
What To Do Immediately If You Suffered a Concussion in a Car Accident
Here’s what you can do to protect your health and your rights if you’ve suffered a concussion in a car accident:
- Contact law enforcement to report the crash and summon emergency medical assistance if needed
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene and vehicle damage if you can safely do so.
- Seek prompt medical attention so a doctor can diagnose your concussion and rule out a more serious traumatic brain injury.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment instructions. Do not return to work, school, or other activities if your doctor has ordered you to rest.
- Report the accident to your auto insurance provider.
- Keep copies of bills and invoices to document your medical expenses.
- Request a copy of your medical records from your concussion treatment.
- Gather your pay stubs or income statements to calculate your lost wages if you need to take time off work due to your concussion.
- Obtain a copy of the police accident report.
Talk to a concussion accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover to discuss pursuing compensation from the person who caused your injury.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover for Your Concussion Injury?
At the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover, we understand how a concussion can upend your life. You could need medical care to help treat the symptoms of concussion. You may find it difficult to concentrate and to work after suffering a concussion in a car accident. Dealing with the financial burden of recovery can be frustrating when someone else is to blame for the car crash. You need legal help to hold those at fault for your concussion accountable. Injured people throughout the San Antonio area choose the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover for the following reasons:
- Our firm has more than three decades of legal experience. Founding attorney Troy A. Brookover has practiced law in Texas since 1992. Troy is board-certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legalization, a distinction held by a small percentage of attorneys in Texas.
- We have insight into how insurance companies prepare and defend against injury claims. Troy A. Brookover previously practiced as an insurance defense attorney and now puts his knowledge to use representing injured people.
- We handle many types of injury claims.
- We have a record that includes six- and seven-figure compensation awards that help our clients pay for their medical bills, lost income, and other expenses and losses.
- Our firm has the resources and experience to pursue maximum compensation for you, no matter how complex your brain injury case may be.
How Much Compensation Can You Get for a Concussion Injury Claim?
The compensation you may be entitled to for a concussion suffered in a car accident includes:
- Medical treatment, including ambulance transportation, emergency room care, diagnostic testing such as MRIs, hospitalization, medications, and doctor’s appointments
- Costs of personal assistance during your recovery, such as housekeeping services
- Loss of wages/income if you miss days from work
- Physical pain and distress
- Loss of quality of life caused by long-term effects or complications caused by your concussion
How Is Liability Determined for Concussion Accident Cases?
Investigators determine fault and liability by reviewing evidence from the accident and resulting injuries, including:
- Police accident reports
- Accident scene photos
- Traffic surveillance camera videos
- Eyewitness testimony
- Driver cell phone records
- Dashcam or in-cabin footage
- Medical records of your concussion injury
- Medical expert reports
- Accident reconstruction expert reports
Most Common Causes of a Concussion in a Car Accident
The most frequent causes of concussion injuries in accidents include:
- Rapid jerking or whipping of the head and neck
- Striking one’s head on a door window or the front or rear windshield
- Impacting one’s head on the interior of the passenger cabin, such as hitting the steering wheel, dashboard, side pillar, roof, or seatback
- Being struck in the head by a flying object during the crash
- Being ejected from the car and striking one’s head upon landing
Signs of Concussion After a Car Accident
Common symptoms of a concussion after a car accident include:
- Brief loss of consciousness lasting a few seconds to several minutes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping more than normal
- Speech issues
- Dizziness and problems with balance and coordination
- Feeling dazed, disoriented, or confused
- Memory or concentration problems
- Mood changes or mood swings
- Feelings of anxiety or depression
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Altered sensations of smell
Generally, a concussion is considered a mild traumatic brain injury that will heal with time and rest. However, a concussion injury victim should be monitored in the days following a car accident for signs of persistent or worsening symptoms that may indicate a more serious brain injury.
Schedule a Free Case Review with an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one suffered a concussion in a car accident in San Antonio, you could be owed money from the at-fault driver. Contact the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover today for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your legal options with an experienced San Antonio car crash attorney.