Wrong-Way Driving Accident Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
Driving on the wrong side of the road or drifting across the center line into an opposing traffic lane often leads to wrong-way accidents involving life-threatening injuries.
Wrong-way accidents involve driving against the flow of traffic, facing oncoming vehicles headfirst, and going in the wrong direction on U.S. Highway 281, the 410 Loop, or other highways. Wrong-way driving accidents often involve drivers who are intoxicated, impaired by drugs, or disoriented. Wrong-way accidents are much less common than other types of crashes. But they often result in severe, life-altering, or even fatal injuries when they do occur.
At the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover, our San Antonio car accident attorneys understand the trauma and disruption a head-on accident can cause. We have fought for the rights of people injured in traffic accidents through no fault of their own for more than 30 years. If you or your loved one has been hurt in a wrong-way crash, we can help you hold the wrong-way driver’s insurance financially accountable for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. We’re ready to fight to get you the compensation you need. Contact us now to discuss your options in a free case review.
What To Do Right After a Car Accident Caused by a Wrong-Way Driver?
You can protect your rights to compensation for your lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses by taking as many of the following steps as you can:
- Call 911 to summon help from your local police department.
- Gather contact information from anyone involved in the crash as well as anyone who witnessed it.
- Photograph the accident scene, vehicle damage, debris, skid marks, lighting, and your injuries.
- Get medical attention. Visit a doctor even if you do not have immediately apparent injuries. You may have internal injuries and not yet know it.
- Follow any treatment recommendations from your doctor, such as attending follow-up appointments with specialists.
- Keep copies of bills, invoices, and receipts from any accident-related expenses.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Write down what you remember about the accident before your memories fade.
- Avoid sharing updates or photos about the accident or your injuries on social media.
- Contact a trusted car accident lawyer for help.
In Texas, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. It helps to give your car accident attorney as much time as possible to prepare an injury claim and negotiate aggressively for the full compensation you deserve.
Why Choose The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover To Handle Your Wrong-Way Driving Car Accident?
Our car accident attorneys are here to manage all the details of your car accident case from start to finish. You should choose us because our knowledgeable lawyers will:
- Answer your questions and explain your legal options
- Calculate how much compensation you are entitled to claim
- Consult with your doctors about your future medical needs
- Determine who is at fault for the accident
- Collect and preserve evidence
- Help you access the medical treatment you need
- Investigate the accident and talk to witnesses
- Keep you informed about your case’s progress
- Communicate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Negotiate for a full and fair settlement of your claim
- File a personal injury lawsuit and take your case to court if needed
How Much Compensation Can You Get for a Wrong-Way Driving Claim?
In Texas, a driver who causes an accident may be held financially liable for any resulting harm. When bringing an accident claim against an at-fault driver, you could seek compensation for the following types of losses:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages, benefits, and future earning potential
- Pain and suffering, including physical, mental, and psychological distress
- Repair or replacement costs for damage to your vehicle or other personal property
Why Are There Many Wrong-Way Crashes in Texas?
Texas maintains a staggering 686,281 lane miles of highways, which is by far the largest highway system of any state. Because of Texas’ sprawling highway system and complicated interstate interchanges, there are many opportunities for wrong-way accidents to occur. Unfortunately, Texas also leads the nation in alcohol-impaired driving fatalities.
Drunk driving is known to be a leading factor in wrong-way driving accidents. Other factors include:
- Driver error and inexperience
- Distracted driving
- Poor entrance and exit ramp design
- Inadequate road signs or lighting
- Obstructions and road obstacles
- Unfamiliarity with area roadways
Most Common Causes of Wrong-Way Accidents in San Antonio
Six different Texas agencies formed the San Antonio Wrong Way Driver Task Force over a decade ago to study the city’s wrong-way driving problem. According to the task force’s research, almost 75 percent of wrong-way driving crashes in the city occurred at night. A significant percentage of the reported wrong-way driving incidents occurred along a 15-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 281 between the I-35 interchange downtown and Stone Oak Parkway.
In response, the San Antonio District of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) installed countermeasures, including blinker signs, on 26 exit ramps on U.S. Highway 281. More recently, the TxDOT issued a progress report indicating their efforts had achieved a nearly 30 percent reduction in wrong-way driving events.