If you’ve been involved in a collision, you may feel confused and disoriented. It can be challenging to stay calm and think clearly in such a situation. It’s crucial to take certain steps after a crash to protect your health and your legal rights should you need to take legal action after the crash.
San Antonio Attorney Troy Brookover has more than 30 years of experience helping people injured in car accidents in San Antonio. Troy is Board Certified in Personal Injury Law, a designation held by less than 1% of attorneys. At the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover, we have handled thousands of cases and recovered significant compensation for our clients. We are proud of our case results because they reflect our hard work on behalf of injured people who turn to us for help. Based on our extensive experience, we can help you understand the appropriate steps to take in the aftermath of a crash.
What Are My Rights as a Driver Involved in a Crash?
As a motorist involved in a car crash in San Antonio, you have specific rights and responsibilities under the law. In general, your rights include:
- The right to call the police – If you are involved in a car crash, you have the right to call the police to report the incident – The police can investigate the crash, file a report, and possibly issue citations to any parties who were at fault.
- The right to seek medical attention – If you were injured in the crash, you have the right to seek medical attention and to be treated for your injuries. You have the right to request an ambulance if you need emergency treatment.
- The right to certain information from other drivers in the crash – You have a right to the driver’s license, vehicle registration, and auto liability insurance information of other motorists in the accident
- The right to seek legal assistance – If you have questions about who is financially liable in the crash or you are having difficulty with an insurance claim, you have the right to seek legal assistance from a car accident attorney
If you have specific questions about your rights, it’s a good idea to consult with an attorney who can provide you with more information and advise you how to proceed.
What Responsibilities Do I Have as a Driver Involved in a Crash?
If you were involved in a crash in Texas, you have certain responsibilities that you must fulfill if you were a driver involved in the accident. You are required to:
- Stop at the scene of the crash – If you are driving a vehicle involved in a crash, you must stop at the scene of the crash without blocking traffic more than necessary.
- Provide aid to anyone who is injured – If anyone is injured in the crash, you must provide them with reasonable assistance, such as calling for an ambulance if they request an ambulance or if it’s obvious that emergency treatment is needed.
- Exchange information with the other driver – You must exchange information with the other driver, providing your name, contact information, car registration, and insurance information.
- Cooperate with law enforcement – You must remain at the accident scene until the police arrive and cooperate with the officer who investigates the crash.
- File a crash report – If you are involved in a crash that was not investigated by law enforcement, and the crash did not result in injury, death, or property damage in excess of $1,000, you are required to file a written crash report with the Texas Department of Transportation within ten days of the accident. It is important to note that if you leave the scene of a crash without fulfilling these responsibilities, you could face criminal charges.
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Crash in San Antonio?
In the aftermath of a crash in San Antonio, it is important to prioritize your safety and the safety of others involved. Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself after a collision:
- Stay calm and take a deep breath – It is important to try to stay focused and think clearly.
- Check for injuries and seek medical attention if necessary – Even if you feel fine, it is important to have an evaluation by a medical professional.
- Call the police – Even if the collision was minor, it is important to have a police report on file
- Do not admit fault or apologize – It is important not to assume the blame or apologize, even if you think it may have been your fault. You may be unaware of all the contributing factors to the accident.
- Gather evidence – Take pictures of the scene of the collision, any damage to the vehicles, and your injuries.
- Contact your insurance company – Report the collision to your insurance company as soon as possible. Most insurance policies require reporting any accident to the insurer.
- Contact an attorney – If you have been injured and feel that the other driver was at fault, you should contact an experienced San Antonio car accident attorney to discuss your rights and legal options.
Seeking Legal Assistance After a Car Accident
One of the most important steps you can take after an injury accident is to educate yourself about your legal options. You should take advantage of a free consultation and have an experienced car accident lawyer review the details of the crash.
An attorney can listen to your story, evaluate your case, and let you know if you may be eligible to seek compensation for your medical bills, vehicle repairs, lost wages, and more. If you hire an attorney to represent you, the attorney will investigate the accident, gather evidence, and help you pursue compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance or seek compensation in court, if necessary.
Schedule a Free Case Review with an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Attorney
Were you injured in a crash in San Antonio? If so, turn to the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover for qualified representation. We are available 24/7 to take your call. Our consultations are always 100% free of charge. We handle cases on a contingency fee. You will not owe us a legal fee unless we obtain compensation for you. Call us or reach out to us to learn if you have a case and how we might help.