In most San Antonio car accident cases, damages are broken into two different categories: compensatory and punitive. Each type has its own set of guidelines that must be met in order to receive compensation.
These types of damages are awarded so that you are reimbursed for losses sustained by the accident. These awards are designed to make you monetarily “whole” again.
The overarching purpose of compensatory damages is to put a dollar amount on the consequences of an accident. There are compensatory damages that are somewhat simple to calculate, such as property damage and medical bills reimbursement. Others, however, such as pain and suffering, are not as easy to determine.
The different types of compensatory damages are as follows:
- Medical care – reimbursement for treatment received as well as estimations of future medical treatment costs.
- Income – reimbursement for income already lost as well as future earnings you could have made if not for the accident.
- Property loss – reimbursement for any property you lost as a result of the accident.
- Pain and suffering – compensation for agony and significant displeasure you endured due to the incident.
- Emotional distress – compensation relating to psychological effects from the injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment – compensation for the lost ability to engage in enjoyable activities such as hobbies, exercise, and other recreational endeavors.
- Loss of consortium – compensation for strains placed on your romantic relationship, such as the loss of sex life. In addition, this can also relate to the separate impact on a parent-child relationship due to injuries sustained. Sometimes, loss of consortium damages are presented to the impacted family member directly, rather than the injured plaintiff.
We Know How to Help
If you have suffered a car accident injury because of someone else’s negligence, you may have the opportunity to recover compensation. The accomplished San Antonio attorneys at the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover are highly skilled in personal injury law and may be able to help you recover losses sustained due to your car accident.
Contact the Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover at 210-941-1515 today to discuss your rights.