Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
Tractor-trailer trucks are prone to jackknifing accidents, in which a sudden change in direction or loss of traction causes the cab and trailer to move at different speeds. Once this happens, the momentum of the trailer will cause it to swing toward the cab like a closing pocketknife. The result is up to 40 tons of truck skidding out of control across multiple lanes of a highway, posing a serious danger to anyone nearby.
Jackknife truck accidents typically occur at highway speeds. Injuries from a jackknife truck accident can be severe. Many victims in smaller vehicles struck by trucks experience serious trauma. If you’ve been injured in a jackknife accident, you may have the right to seek compensation from the truck driver who caused the truck accident and any other at-fault parties. A San Antonio semi-truck accident lawyer with The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover can help you demand compensation to pay your medical bills and cover lost income while you are out of work. Contact an experienced truck accident attorney at (210) 226-2000 or fill out our online form to get started with your free consultation.
Why Hire a Lawyer After a Jackknife Truck Accident?
After a jackknife truck wreck, don’t be surprised if you are contacted by a representative by the trucking company or an insurance company representing the trucking company or driver. They may ask you for a recorded statement about the truck jackknife accident.
You should not consent to a recorded statement or sign any release allowing access to your medical records. The insurance adjuster representing the trucking company may act friendly and concerned, but they are not on your side. The insurance company is looking for ways to minimize the value of your truck accident claim.
An experienced San Antonio Jackknife truck accident lawyer can protect your legal rights by:
- Giving you professional advice regarding your legal options so you can make informed decisions
- Investigating the cause of the crash to determine the parties financially responsible
- Gathering evidence to build a strong truck accident case
- Representing you in settlement negotiations with the insurance carrier
- Litigating your case in court if the at-fault party or their insurer refuses to agree to a fair truck accident settlement to cover your losses
Most San Antonio personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. That means you only have to pay a legal fee if the attorney secures compensation for you.
Why Choose The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover for Your Jackknife Truck Accident?
Commercial truck accidents can be more complicated than those involving only cars and passenger vehicles. The victim’s injuries are typically more extensive. In a jackknife crash, multiple vehicles are often involved. Sometimes, these truck accident injury cases have multiple defendants. Your legal team may need to build a case against each.
The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover has the resources to handle even the most complex truck accident cases and an experienced legal team prepared to fight hard to help you rebuild your life after a jackknife collision.
Results matter. While every case stands on its own, we are proud of the results we have delivered for many injured Texans who turned to us for help. We recently secured a seven-figure verdict for a client involved in an 18-wheeler crash on I-35, one of our many million-dollar-plus settlements.
How a Truck Accident Attorney Can Help to Seek Justice
At The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover, we’re committed to standing up for injured people after semi-truck accidents that weren’t their fault. We start by investigating the jackknife truck accident, such as analyzing the data from the truck’s electronic logging device (ELD) to see if the driver was speeding or braked late. We interview witnesses and seek to review any available camera footage, such as dashcam video or red-light camera footage.
Our law firm may retain the services of accident specialists who can examine the truck, reconstruct the truck accident, and point out how it occurred. We’ll review inspection reports that might suggest additional parties that are also to blame. Once we’ve linked all the evidence to show how the jackknife crash occurred and caused your injuries, we’ll use that information to demand full and fair compensation for you.
What To Do After a Jackknife Truck Accident in San Antonio, TX
Your first concern after being involved in a semi-truck accident is to see a doctor or call for emergency services at the scene of the accident. Once you’re stable, you may have questions about your legal options and who is responsible for your medical bills. What you do and say in the next few days and weeks could make a difference in the outcome of your case.
Here are some steps to take to lay the groundwork for a strong truck accident claim:
- Save all your medical records. Your truck accident attorney can use the documentation of the medical treatment you received to prove the extent of your injuries and show that they happened because of the collision.
- Call a lawyer. Speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand your legal options and whether you have a valid truck accident case. Having the representation of a knowledgeable attorney improves your chances of pursuing a just settlement.
- Don’t talk to the other party’s insurance company or lawyer. You don’t have to talk to the trucking company’s insurance carrier or provide a statement. You can refer them to your attorney.
- Keep a journal. Create a daily log that notes which of your usual activities you’re unable to do, such as going to work, making dinner for your family, doing household chores, or going to the gym or grocery. Keep track of your pain levels. Your lawyer can use your notes to determine the extent of your pain and suffering and reduced capabilities. You may be entitled to seek compensation for your diminished quality of life.
- Stay off social media. The defense team will look at any comments or photos that you post on social media to try to use them against you. For example, the opposing side might use a photo of you with friends or a post about your weekend activities to argue that you aren’t as hurt as you claim to be.
How Much Does a Lawyer Charge for a Jackknife Truck Accident Case?
The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover takes truck crash cases on a contingency basis. This means we get paid a legal fee only if we win a court award or negotiate a settlement for you. If we do, we receive a percentage of the final settlement or award as our legal free.
We will discuss our fee structure at your initial free consultation. The important thing to understand is that we will charge nothing upfront to start work on your case.
Who Is Liable in a Jackknife Truck Accident?
Jackknife truck accidents happen when the truck driver loses control of the vehicle. In many cases, the driver is at fault for the truck accident. However, other people or entities may share responsibility for the crash, such as:
- Another driver who may have cut off the trucker or slammed on their brakes, causing the truck driver to lose control
- The trucker’s employer
- The cargo loaders, if improperly loaded cargo shifted in transit and caused the accident
- The tractor-trailer manufacturer, if the truck, trailer, or hitch had a design defect, wasn’t manufactured properly, or was poorly repaired
An experienced jackknife accident lawyer will seek to identify all those who are potentially liable after a devastating accident.
Time Limit To File a Jackknife Truck Accident Lawsuit in Texas
The State of Texas has a time limit of two years from the date of a truck accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you don’t file a lawsuit within the statute of limitation, then you effectively lose your right to pursue compensation.
Contact a truck accident lawyer to discuss how the statute of limitations applies to your case.
Compensation You Might Seek in a Jackknife Truck Accident Claim
When filing a truck accident lawsuit, you may seek compensation for:
- Medical bills, such as emergency room treatment, surgery, specialist physician treatment, medication, and ambulance transport
- Rehabilitative care, like physical therapy
- Modifications to your vehicle or home
- Lost wages from time missed at work
- Reduced earning potential if you’re disabled to the point you can no longer do the job you had before the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional or mental trauma
- Reduced quality of life
- Scarring or disfigurement
Common Causes of Jackknife Truck Accidents in Texas
A jackknife truck crash happens when a truck driver loses control of the vehicle and the trailer swings towards the cab. This can happen if:
- Another driver suddenly cuts off the trucker or slams on their brakes
- Inclement weather or poor road conditions cause the tractor to skid or slide
- The trucker is distracted or sleepy and doesn’t see slowed or stopped traffic ahead in time to stop safely
- The driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol and cannot control the vehicle
- The cargo shifts and knocks the truck off-balance
- A mechanical error renders the truck uncontrollable
Common Injuries in Jackknife Truck Accidents in Texas
Serious injuries and life-altering injuries are common in jackknife accidents. Common injuries include the following:
- Broken bones or compound fractures
- Concussions or brain damage
- Facial lacerations from flying glass or facial damage from a deployed airbag
- Contusions and bruising
- Crushing injuries to a limb, hand, or foot
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
- Spinal cord damage or broken vertebrae
- Whiplash or other neck injuries
- Emotional trauma, like the onset of anxiety or PTSD
Find an Experienced Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer Near You
Do you need help covering mounting medical bills and other expenses after a traumatic jackknife truck accident? Are you worried about the cost of future medical care and whether you will be able to return to work or care for your family because of your injuries? Contact The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover today at (210) 226-2000 or fill out our online form for a free consultation with an experienced San Antonio jackknife accident lawyer. We’ll explain your legal options and discuss how we can help.