It happens far too often: individuals sustain serious injuries in a car accident as a result of someone else’s negligence. Yet, they do nothing to pursue legal action. This is either because they don’t know how to or they simply don’t know that legal options do exist if the circumstances call for it.
In a car accident involving injuries, there are multiple things that need to be considered; however, those who have been harmed do have the right to take action. This is especially true should the initial claim with the negligent party’s insurance company is wrongfully denied.
Injury victims have the right to seek the following in a car accident:
- Compensation for losses with direct monetary values (including hospital bills, rehabilitation and physical therapy costs, lost past and future income, and more)
- Compensation for losses with no set value (these are typically dependent on the circumstances involved in the accident and are classified as pain and suffering)
Injured in a car accident caused by negligence? Call our firm today at 210-941-1515.
To learn more about what rights injured individuals have, continue reading:
The Right to Legal Counsel
Before you speak with anyone—aside from your doctor—about an auto accident and the factors leading up to it, make sure you secure legal representation from a lawyer. Far too often, individuals put their own cases in jeopardy because they say things that they shouldn’t, or they do something that can be considered bad for the claim.
All other rights become moot if you are not taking the necessary precautions to protect them. A lawyer can help you do just that. Here are some of the most important reasons to consider hiring an attorney for a car accident case:
- A lawyer can provide resources that you may not have access to on your own such as medical experts, accident reconstructionists, adjusters, and other expert witnesses
- A lawyer can be there for the conversation with the other party’s insurance company wherein they may attempt to get you to say things that can damage your case
- A lawyer can determine if a settlement offer is right for you or if a case needs to go further in order to seek the maximum compensation
The Right to Pursue Compensation
After a car accident, you may receive a settlement offer from the insurance company of the negligent party. It is the insurance company’s hope that you will accept this amount as it is often much less than you may be able to receive by going through trial. However, it could be sufficient enough for you to cover the expenses lost.
Should you feel that the settlement offer is enough, you can accept it and thus forfeit your ability to pursue any further legal action. If you feel as though you deserve more, you can speak with your lawyer about countering the settlement offer or taking the case to trial.
The Right to Justice
For many, taking legal action is not just about the compensation to which they may be entitled. It has a lot to do with holding the negligent individual accountable for their actions. It’s about making sure they are civilly and financially accountable for the damages they have caused.
At The Law Offices of Troy A. Brookover, we truly believe in the rights of our clients and their ability to protect those rights through civil trial law. We aim to guide you through the complex matters, so you are aware of your options every step of the way.
Our San Antonio car accident attorney is ready to help if you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligent actions. We’ve handled thousands of cases on behalf of our clients and over our 25+ years, we’ve had a strict dedication on client satisfaction.
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, you may have rights. Call us today at 210-941-1515 for a free consultation and speak with a skilled legal professional about your rights and options.